24.2.10

What keeps them coming back for more?

Many of my students are participating in a 40 Day Challenge offered by the studio. Early in, as muscles were acclimating, a young woman asked me to suggest a class to take the day after a challenging class with me. She noted that her wrists were bothered by the vinyasa. I told her to skip my class tomorrow, and suggested a restorative and a Forrest class for her as more therapeutic options. Home we went at 7:30 pm that night. At 9:30 am the next morning, there she appeared, sheepishly, on her mat before me, disregarding my recommendation.

So I proceed with some wisdom but mostly educated guesses about how to improve and grow. This year I intend to incorporate the following into my yoga teaching:

Preparing to Teach:

1. Take one “out of my ordinary schedule” class every month.

2. Take 3 new workshops this year.

3. Explore a modality to borrow from (self defense, dance, capoeira, etc).

4. Construct and commit to completing a yoga reading list.

5. Agree only to substitute teach classes that are complementary in style and challenge level and that may draw new students.


Teaching Class:

1. Be on time!

2. Have one yoga philosophy, anatomy or alignment element to teach in every class.

3. 12 music mixes

4. 12 skeletal flows for Wed and Sunday; 6 for Saturdays; alternate through 4 for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

5. Maintain a high intensity and a moderate level of challenge in every class.

6. Hire an assistant for Sundays.

7. Design a checklist for the front desk for pre-class preparations.

8. Give a suggestion/assist/mini lesson to at least one student after every class.

9. Consciously Exit: Sage, lights, seal practice.

10. Drop classes that consistently average less than 10 students.


And Beyond…

1. Internet private yoga sessions

2. Offer classes for teachers only

3. Intensives that allow students to deepen study without a teacher training

4. 3 hour master class

5. Yoga on the roof

1 comment:

  1. Dear Samadhi, I enjoy your blog and its focus on the practicality of teaching. I admire your lists above - they are a great path. I am a new teacher and inspired by your plans.

    Be gentle with yourself.

    David

    ReplyDelete